Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Chicken a la King

A Vintage Recipe

 
I first made this dish when I was just a young bride and trying to impress my new husband.   I had no idea, at that time, how simple it was to make or how delicious it would be.  It turned out to be a favorite. 

Then, over the years, I forgot about it,  until going through my old Betty Crocker Cookbook published in 1969, and there it was!!!   Does anyone else still have the big, red book from Betty?   The binding is broken on mine and I keep using duct tape to hold it together, and the pages have stains from my splatters & drips, but, I still love it!   I believe it's one of the best cookbooks ever written. 

So, I decided to try that old chicken recipe again, after all these years, and see if my granddaughter and her hubby would enjoy it too.  Was it still as magical as I remembered?  Well, guess what?  It was...and now it's a new, old-favorite!   Yay!




Ingredients:
 
1 (6 oz.) can sliced mushrooms, drained (reserve 1/4 c. liquid)
1/2 c. diced green pepper
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 c. light cream
1 3/4 c. chicken broth
2 c. cooked chicken, cubed
1 (4 oz.) jar pimientos, chopped
1 box of frozen puff-pastry shells
 
In large skillet, cook and stir mushrooms and green pepper in butter 5 minutes.  Blend in flour, salt and pepper.  Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is bubbly.  Remove from heat.  Stir in cream, broth and reserved mushroom liquid.  Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.  Boil and stir 1 minute.  Stir in chicken and pimiento; heat through.  Serve in hot puff-pastry shells.
 
Yields: 8 servings

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." - James 1:22
 





No comments:

Post a Comment