Sunday, August 3, 2014

Blueberry Squares

Blueberries, cinnamon, sugar...oh, yes!


If you're looking for an easy, delicious blueberry recipe...you've just found it!  I've had this one for over 40 years, and make it at least once every blueberry season.  

The recipe is hand-written from my old recipe box, and I've tried to find it on the web to see if I could update it.  But, I haven't had any success with that.  So, you might want to save this to your recipe box, if blueberries are your thing.  If they aren't, you can substitute chopped apples and keep everything else the same.   

It's also practically a one-bowl recipe and don't you just love those?

The texture is moist, soft & a little chewy, with a slight crunch from the cinnamon-sugar topping.  All together, they create a bit of magic in your mouth!   They are really that good!
 
Ingredients:
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c.  butter (1 stick)
1 c. brown sugar, packed
1 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. fresh blueberries (chopped apples work well too)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350'F.

Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon onto waxed paper. 

Melt butter in large saucepan, over low heat.  Remove from burner.

Beat in brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla, until smooth consistency.

Carefully fold in blueberries, so as not to crush them.

Carefully stir in flour mixture a little at a time.  Again, trying not to crush too many blueberries.  Mix thoroughly.  The batter will be thick.

Spread into a greased (I use Pam) 9x13" pan.  (I put a little Pam on my fingers and press it into place.)

Make a mixture of cinnamon & sugar, and sprinkle over the top.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool completely and cut into squares.


Be encouraged!
"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."   -Psalm 119:105

No comments:

Post a Comment