Friday, August 15, 2014

Apple Pie

This pie is "mile-high" and oh, so good!


I guess Apple Pie has always been one of my most favorite pies!  I can still remember my mom, in her little kitchen, peeling the apples and rolling out her delicious, flaky crust. 

One particular instance comes to mind, when I was expecting our first baby.  The doctor put me on a strict diet because, of course, I was gaining too much weight.  Yeah, so what's new, right?   Anyway, my mom made her irresistible apple pie.  So, being the oh, so sweet wife, I asked my husband if I could get him a piece.  Now, there were no "open concept" kitchens back then, and I found myself alone with that pie.  No one around.  Eight months pregnant.  Me. Pie. Pregnant. Alone!  Get the picture? 

I cut Dave a nice big piece.  Oops, maybe a little too big, better fix that.  And then I brought that nice, not so big, slice of pie into the other room and handed it to him.  He smiled, took the pie, and quietly, without saying a word, wiped the crumbs off my face.  Busted!  

Don't judge...you wouldn't have been able to resist it either, I promise!

Mom's Flaky Pastry:

2 c. flour
1 c. shortening
1 tsp. salt
3-4 Tbsp. cold water (approximately)

Combine flour, shortening and salt; cut with a pastry cutter or fork until it looks like coarse meal.  Then add water (start with 3 Tbsp.) then if it's still dry add more, 1 Tbsp. at a time.  Divide in half, this makes 2, 9" bottom crusts, or a top & bottom.  Roll out on floured surface, using enough flour so the dough won't stick.

You'll need a top and bottom for the Apple Pie.  And if you don't feel ready to try crust yet, just use the Pillsbury ones, they're all ready for you to just roll out.

Apple Pie Filling:

1 c. sugar
1/3 c. flour
1 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. cinnamon
Dash of salt
8 c. thinly sliced, pared apples (my family loves McIntosh)
3 Tbsp. butter

Heat oven to 425'F.   Stir together sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; mix with the apples.  Turn into pastry-lined pie pan; dot with butter.  Cover with top crust, which has slits cut into it, or use a fork to make holes in the top. (This allows steam to escape.)  Seal the edges and using your fingers, make a flute all around.  Place onto a baking tray, to catch any spills.

Cover edge with 2-3" strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning;  remove foil last 15 minutes of baking.

Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven.  Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.  Bake 40-50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust.  If the top starts to get too browned, cover it with foil too.


Be encouraged!
"Today is a beautiful day, simply because God made it...for us!"



No comments:

Post a Comment