Friday, September 26, 2014

Marinated Family Steak

Use with your favorite steak!

When my husband and I were married, we "eloped" to the same little town in Maryland that his grandmother was married in, Elkton.  

My parents knew we wanted no big affair and were just happy to become husband and wife.  They really understood and respected our decision...they were incredibly understanding parents.    


They also knew we were going to stay with them until we found a home of our own, so they weren't really losing me yet.  Now, my dad was a pretty funny guy, and when we got back he had a sign in the window, "Room for Rent"!    



Aunt Alma & Uncle Anthony

On the way home, my Aunt Alma and Uncle Anthony invited us to stop at their home in New Jersey and have dinner.   He's my mom's youngest brother and I always loved seeing him and Aunt Alma.  She had that Grace Kelly look, beautiful and elegant, and she was  also a fabulous cook.   I found this old picture of them, and just had to share it! 

Uncle Anthony made his living playing professional piano with his own trio, then went solo and moved onto entertaining in clubs & restaurants, private parties, etc.   I remember loving to hear his stories about the business, and the famous people he played for. 

He's in his 80's now and still making people happy while they enjoy a great dinner at a fine restaurant in Raleigh, NC!   Love this man!

This is the recipe Aunt Alma gave me after making a delicious wedding dinner for us.  Actually, we found out they were married on the same date, so it was doubly special!   It's a precious memory I'll never forget!  To this day, this steak is a must with my family for so many occasions, or just because...


Ingredients:

1 1/2-2 lb. steak (sirloin, top round, flank, porterhouse)  You chose!
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup vinegar
3/4-1 cup red wine
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Adolph's Meat Tenderizer (if using a tougher cut of steak)

Using a large frying pan, heat oil, onion & garlic; sauté until just slightly tender.  This only takes a few minutes.  Let cool.

Add vinegar, wine, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, salt & pepper, stir until blended.

Pierce the steak on both sides with a large fork and place in a large baggie, then place into a dish with sides (in case the baggie leaks).  Pour all but 1/4 c. of marinade over the steak and refrigerate overnight or 8-10 hours, (for best flavor) turning occasionally.  Reserve the extra marinade in the fridge, for basting your steak.

If I'm using a family steak, or flank, I always sprinkle both sides with meat tenderizer before grilling or broiling.


"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."  -John 15:13


No comments:

Post a Comment