Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Mexican Cornbread Casserole

A little sweet, a little heat!


I thought I'd try something a little different tonight for dinner.   While searching the web, this casserole caught my eye, so I ran to the pantry and found I had all the ingredients except the kidney beans.  I'm not sure we really missed them, because it was a hit anyway.

The taco mix and Rotelle with Chili peppers gave it a little spice, and then the cornbread mix on top was sweet and offset the heat.  The combination worked really well together, and I'd make it again.  Only, next time, I'll add the kidney beans and put in less corn.  My hubby doesn't like corn at all.  But, he said it was good anyway.  Have I got him trained well or what? 

Anyway, this was really easy to throw together and only needed to bake about 15 minutes.  You've got to love these recipes that let you try something a little different without spending hours in the kitchen!


Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef, lean
1 packet taco seasoning, medium
3/4 c. chopped onions
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 can Rotel with green chiles
1/2 can corn, drained
1/2 can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 (8.5oz) cornbread mix (I used Jiffy)
1 egg
1/2 c. milk


Hot out of the oven!

Brown meat with onions.  Add taco seasoning and cook thoroughly, stirring to blend in the mix.  Add Rotel, corn and kidney beans.  Pour into greased 13x9" pan.  Top with cheese.
(I reversed this and put the cheese first, then  poured the cornbread mix over that.)

Prepare cornbread according to directions with 1 egg & 1/2 cup milk.  Pour over cheese and lightly press in a bit. 

Bake at 400'F. for 15-20 minutes.  (per cornbread pkg. directions)

Yields:  8 servings










"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.”John 16:33



 


No comments:

Post a Comment