Saturday, October 11, 2014

Chocolate Cherry Bars

A must for us chocoholics!

If you remember, right from the beginning of my blogs, I warned you about my chocolate addiction.  Haha! I just can't help myself.   If I see a recipe with chocolate (especially dark chocolate) I know pretty soon, I'll be trying it out. 

It's been over 25 years since the first time I made this one, and it has never failed to delight everyone who indulges in this moist, fudgy dessert.

This is such a quick cake and what's great about it is there's no waiting to frost it.  You actually spread the icing on while the cake is still hot.  But, you do have to wait until it cools to eat it.  Patience is a virtue, and you'll be rewarded for yours.  I promise.

Carefully follow the frosting directions, or it may have that gritty, sugary feeling.  When done right, it's rich, fudgy and looks pretty because it's completely smooth.

Ingredients:
1 pkg. chocolate fudge cake mix (regular size)
1 (21 oz.) can cherry pie filling
1 tsp. almond extract
2 eggs (beaten)

Frosting:  Prepare while cake is baking.
1 cup white sugar
5 Tbsp. butter
1/3 cup milk
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels

Heat oven to 350'F.   Spray 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan or 13 x 9-inch pan with flour no-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine cake mix, cherry pie filling, almond extract and 2 eggs; mix by hand until well blended.   Pour batter in prepared pan.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool only slightly.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine sugar, milk and butter. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted, about 1 minute.  Remove from the heat. 

Stir in chocolate chips until melted. Pour over warm cake; spread evenly. Cool completely before cutting. 


Be encouraged!
"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast."  Isaiah 26:3

No comments:

Post a Comment