Monday, October 13, 2014

Frosted Banana Bars

You'll go bananas over these!

I don't know what it is about bananas, but they either get eaten up in one day, or stay in the bowl until they turn brown.  Today, they are brown!   Well, I can't just throw them away, now, can I?  And you know, over-ripe bananas are the best to bake with, so I found myself a new recipe to try. 

When I read what the frosting was made with, that cinched the deal...cream cheese!   I can't resist a good cream cheese frosting.  So now, my house smells wonderful and we'll be having these delicious Frosted Banana Bars for dessert tonight.  Uh, actually, I haven't made dinner yet, so maybe we'll skip it and just go for the Frosted Banana Bars instead.

Dinner is over and we tasted this yummy new dessert!   They were moist and flavorful, and my husband said they were a keeper.  I'll be making these again soon! 


 

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
Dash of salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 350'F. 
 
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs, bananas and vanilla.
 
Combine the flour, baking soda and salt;  stir into creamed mixture just until blended.
 
Pour into a greased 15x10x1" baking sheet.
 
Bake at 350'F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool in pan on a wire rack.
 
 
Frosting:

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
3-4 cups confectioners' sugar (add 3 cups first, then slowly add the rest if necessary)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
 
In a small bowl, beat softened cream cheese and butter until fluffy.  Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. 
 
Frost cooled bars. 
 
I'm thinking some chopped walnuts might be really nice sprinkled over the top too.


"Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him,  for God is our refuge." - Psalm 62:8 

No comments:

Post a Comment