Sunday, November 23, 2014

Old-Fashioned Applesauce

A Thanksgiving "Must-have"


I know!  Applesauce is just something you buy from the grocery store and spoon out of the jar.  But, once you try this, you'll never want store-bought again.  And, it's so incredibly easy!

You'll notice that the recipes I like to post are those that are easy, tasty and filling.  I always figure that if my family likes them, that's the "okay" I need to share them with everyone!  This is definitely one that my family "must have" on the Thanksgiving table!

Just to give you a little hint at how good it is...I usually have to double or make 1 1/2 times the amount used in the original recipe.  Also, we like it chunky, so I take it off the stove before it all gets really smooth. 



Directions:

4 medium cooking apples (pared, quartered and cored)
1 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Heat apples and water over medium heat to boiling. 

Reduce heat:  simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 to 10 minutes or until tender.  (This is where you decide if you want it chunky or smooth.)

Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; heat to boiling.  

Makes about 4 cups.

Be encouraged!
"Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever."   -Psalm 107:1

No comments:

Post a Comment