Monday, December 8, 2014

Chocolate Cream Cheese Drops

Chocolate, cream cheese, cherries, oh my!
 
I'm really not sure where this recipe came from, but I know I've had it for a really long time.  When I originally made them, it was for the kids' "after school" snack...and they were still in elementary school.  Considering my youngest just became a grandfather, I'd say we're going back a few years. 

Anyway, they were so good, that when Christmas came around, I added a cherry or pecan on top and made them a bit smaller, then added them to the Holiday Cookie Tray.   They've been included every year since then.

I've searched everywhere for an updated version of this cookie, but can't even find the original.  So here's where I think it would be fun to use our culinary imaginations and try adding goodies to them.  Mini chocolate chips?  Chopped cherries into the dough?  A cream cheese  or chocolate frosting drizzled over them?   How about a hint of almond flavor along with the vanilla?  Okay, I'm getting myself all excited to make these and "play" with the dough.  Hope you do too!

Ingredients:

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. shortening
4 oz. cream cheese
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar

Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and sugar with electric mixer until blended and fluffy.

Add:
1 egg, well beaten
2 Tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 oz. melted unsweetened chocolate

Combine well with butter mixture.

Add:
2 1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped walnut (opt) *Psst... I've never added the nuts.

Mix well and drop by teaspoonfuls on lightly greased baking sheet. 

Cut cherries in halves as you go, so you can judge how many you'll need.  Press 1/2 of Maraschino cherry into centers or a pecan, if desired.

Bake at 350'F. for 8-10 minutes.


“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”  -John 2:14


No comments:

Post a Comment