Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Classic French Onion Spinach Dip

Remember this classic favorite?



No pumpernickel bread anywhere...this is Italian.
It made no difference, it was wonderful!
It's hard to believe that I haven't made this in a long time.  I think it's probably because I could eat the whole thing all by myself.  Actually, just writing this recipe made me so hungry for it again, I think I'll invite some friends over just for an excuse to make it.  Hey...just in time for New Year's Eve!  Yay, me!

Sometimes, the original is just...well, the best!  Like a good movie they try to make into sequels that don't stand up to the first.  That's the way I feel about some of these good old stand-by recipes from years ago.  Sometimes you just can't improve upon the original.

I never met anyone who didn't like this dip...it's always been a favorite with everyone.   So easy to prepare and looks lovely in a bread bowl, although you don't have to present it that way.

Give this good ol' dip a try at your next gathering and find out why I think the original is always the best!




Super Bowl Goodies
Ingredients:

1 pkg. Knorr French Onion soup mix
2 cups sour cream
2 Tbsp. milk
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen, chopped spinach, cooked & well drained
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. hot sauce (optional)

1 large round pumpernickel bread. (Italian or Rye work well too.)

Cook spinach as directed on package; cool.   Squeeze water from spinach; discard water.

In large bowl, mix all ingredients except bread. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors. 

Just before serving, cut a 1- to 2-inch slice from the top of the loaf of bread. Hollow out the loaf by cutting along the edge with a serrated knife, leaving about a 1-inch shell, and pulling out large chunks of bread. Cut or tear the top slice and the hollowed-out bread into bite-size pieces for dipping.                          

Place bread on serving plate; fill with spinach dip. Arrange bread pieces around loaf to use for dipping.  You can also use crackers, chips and your favorite veggies.

"But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me."   -Micah 7:7

 

No comments:

Post a Comment