Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Holiday Horns

Light, slightly sweet and delicious!

When I mentioned to my husband, that I wanted to post my twelve favorite Christmas cookie recipes, he made sure I included this one.   It's also his favorite!  

Oh, and he wasn't shy about reminding me that I didn't make these for him last year.   I was so sure that I had made them, that I checked the pictures from last year just to prove it to him, but...no Holiday Horns!   That cookie tray was blatantly devoid of his favorite cookie.  He was right (I hate that!)   And yes, I felt guilty, so now I'm going to have to be sure they're on this year's cookie list.
 
This recipe makes a tender, mildly sweet and nutty cookie that is delicious alone or with a cup of tea or coffee!   It begins with a yeast, sour cream dough that does not have any sugar. The ground walnut meringue filling is just sweet enough to balance the dough, and the meringue rises and fills the cookie as it bakes so it is important to roll the dough loosely to allow the meringue room to grow.


Ingredients:
4 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp. dry yeast or 1 yeast cake
1 1/2 cups shortening
4 egg yolks, beaten (reserve egg whites)
1 cup. sour cream

Combine all ingredients and mix well until blended into a soft but firm dough.

Filling:
2 cups walnuts, chopped finely
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat egg whites to a soft peak, then slowly add sugar beaters on the whole time.   Fold in vanilla and nuts.

Preheat oven to 375'F.

Sprinkle work surface with flour. Lightly flatten dough, divide into 6 parts and roll each into a ball. Keep remaining balls of dough covered with a clean dish towel.

Dust your surface with flour for the bottom of your dough.   Use confectioner's sugar for the top of your dough.  Roll the first ball into about a 9" circle. (The powdered sugar on top will keep the dough from getting too tough.)   Cut into 8 wedges, like a pizza.

Spread a heaping teaspoon of filling over the widest 1/2 of each wedge and roll up starting at the widest part to the point.  Bend corners of the cookie to the middle to achieve a nice crescent shape, and place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake about 12-15 minutes or until light brown.  Repeat with remaining dough. 

Each ball will yield 8 cookies.

Cool and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. 


Be encouraged!
"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."  -John 2:11

 




No comments:

Post a Comment