Sunday, January 11, 2015

Cannoli Poke Cake

Holy Cannoli!  This is yummy!
One of my favorite cakes...ever!
I don't know about you, but I love poke cakes.  They're super easy to make, always moist and always a crowd pleaser!

This one became my grandson-in-law's birthday cake this week, and it was a hit.  Besides Matt's birthday, my cousin and her husband were visiting, so they all became my guinea pigs.  Ha!

The only thing that I changed from the original recipe was to lower the amount of the sweetened condensed milk that they said to add to the cannoli "icing".  It was meant to be soft and runny, but for my taste, it was a little too soft, and a little too runny.  I also strained the ricotta longer and that made it just a bit thicker.  I know...I'm so fussy! 

The flavor of this cake is delicious and most definitely reminiscent of cannoli.  I will make this again!  Next time, though, I'm going to have to try it with chocolate cake...well, you know, what's a chocoholic to do? 
  
Ingredients:
1 box white cake mix, plus ingredients on box
1 14 oz. cans sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon, optional
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
powdered sugar, for dusting


Instructions:

Bake cake according to directions on box for a 9x13 pan.
Allow cake to cool completely.
Poke holes all over the top of the cake. (I used a straw) 
Reserve 1/4 cup of sweetened condensed milk and pour the rest of the sweetened condensed milk over the cake. 
Put cake in refrigerator for about an hour to absorb milk.
Combine ricotta cheese, mascarpone cheese and vanilla extract in a mixer bowl. Beat until smooth.
Add powdered sugar and cinnamon, if using and mix until combined.
Add reserved sweetened condensed milk and mix until combined.
Once cake has absorbed milk, spread cannoli topping evenly over cake.
Top with mini chocolate chips and a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
Cover cake and allow to set in refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Cake should keep for 4-5 days.


"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful."  -Colossians 4:2 

No comments:

Post a Comment