Saturday, January 3, 2015

Garden Vegetable Soup

My "go to" W.W. soup!

Ahhh...Weight Watchers...my friend for years!  It's probably the only diet plan that actually will keep the weight off and teach you how to eat healthy.   My "go to" plan whenever I feel the extra weight creeping back up...which, unfortunately, happens often. 

Photo by "Tinkerbell"
Yes, like many of us, I've been battling the bulge for what seems like forever!  But, any time I want to get serious about my poor eating habits, this is the one diet that always works.  No fads or quick fixes...just plain ol' common sense eating.

My grandmother took me to my first meeting about 45 years ago, after I'd had my first baby and wanted to get rid of that baby weight I'd gained.  I'll never forget her sitting there with me, holding my hand and encouraging my to join, and then helping me through those first weeks. 

The beauty of this recipe is that you can "play" with it, and make it your own.  And, this is a great base to a delicious vegetable soup and there's nothing that tastes "diet" about it!

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp. olive oil, extra virgin
2/3 cup carrots, sliced or chopped
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
1 1/2-2 cups cabbage, chopped
1/2 cup green beans
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 cup zucchini, chopped
salt & pepper to taste

Pour 1 Tbsp. olive oil into large soup pot; sauté onions, carrots and garlic over low heat or until softened, about 5 minutes.

Add broth, tomato paste, cabbage, green beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and salt.  Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat; let simmer for about 15 minutes or until all vegetables are tender; add zucchini and simmer for another 5 minutes for so.

You can customize this with your favorite veggies or even add diced chicken, and small pasta.  Of course, then it isn't as "low-cal" as just the veggies alone.  But, you already knew that! 


Trust trust in the Lord, He will make a way.  "It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man."   -Psalms 118:8

No comments:

Post a Comment