Saturday, February 21, 2015

Cheddar Potato Soup with Ham


You'll want seconds!

For years, my husband has wanted me to make him potato soup.  Today, he got his wish!  I know, we've been married for 47 years, so what took me so long!  I guess I have to make a confession...it never appealed to me!  I'm not a big soup eater, and when I do have it, there are just a few favorites I like to prepare.
But, today, I was checking out recipes for some leftover ham that I had, and this one came up.  Did you know you can put the ingredients into the search engine and get all kinds of ideas for meals using your ingredients.  Gotta love the new technology!  Anyway, it's a great soup, and easy to add more veggies and use up some things from the pantry.
I'm so glad I tried this, and I've got to tell you, so was my husband!  He kept saying how delicious it was and ate two bowls of it!  I even had a bowl...and enjoyed it!   This is really quick and easy and will make a filling meal with rolls, or a side salad.
Ingredients:
2 c. potatoes, peeled and diced
2 c. water or chicken stock
1/2 c. carrots, diced
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. butter, cubed
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. milk (I used a combination of 1% milk and Half & Half)
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1-1 1/2 cups fully cooked ham, cubed
1 c. frozen veggies, such as peas, corn, broccoli (optional)
In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, water or stock, carrots and onions. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.  
                           
Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. While stirring constantly, bring to a boil; cook and continue stirring for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Add shredded cheese and stir in until melted.

Pour cheese mixture into undrained potato mixture.   Add ham; heat through. 

Yield: 7 servings.

"Learn to do right!  Seek justice, encourage the oppressed." - Isaiah 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment