Friday, February 27, 2015

Good Ol' Sloppy Joes

Best ever!


My husband and kids have always loved Sloppy Joes, and it's been awhile since I made them. 

I decided I didn't want the mix in the can, or even the packet of seasoning that we usually use.  This time I was going to make these from scratch!  It turned out to be a great idea!

I ended up doubling the recipe and I'm so glad I did...they're already looking forward to leftovers tomorrow.  If there's any left after that, I'll freeze it, since Sloppy Joe mix holds up really well in the freezer.  

I did make some changes to the recipe I found and included them in here.  When I tested it before my additions, I found it way too sweet...my changes made it less sweet and even slightly tangy.  Tasting is an important part of cooking, because you know what your family likes and that's the time to make your adjustments.

We used regular hamburger rolls, but I lightly buttered them and put them on the griddle for a minute until they toasted nicely.  It added a nice crunch and they all loved it.   If you've never made Sloppy Joes from scratch, try this recipe.  It's really easy and so worth cutting up a few vegetables.  It really is!

Ingredients:
1.5 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. mustard
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. paprika 
1 Tbsp. vinegar
3/4 c. ketchup
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/2 c. chopped green or red bell peppers, chopped
1/2 c. chopped celery, diced

Instructions:
Cook ground beef and chopped onion. Drain fat off meat. Add back to large pan.

Add remaining ingredients; mix well.  Reduce heat to low and cook 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve with fresh bakery buns.
(Another great way to serve Sloppy Joes is in Pita bread.  Just warm them up in the oven for a few minutes, split it into two halves, and fill with the meat mixture.  We used to serve them (Sloppy Pitas) that way at a school where I worked, in New Jersey, and they were yummy!)

Be encouraged!
"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." -Proverbs 17:22

No comments:

Post a Comment