Thursday, February 26, 2015

Lemon Almond Tea Bread

A timeless recipe!


I'll never forget the first time I had this bread.  Now, I'm going back about 40 plus years, so that tells you how good it was...absolutely memorable!

Almond extract and lemon zest flavor this loaf of tea bread and then it's intensified with a tart lemon glaze.  Just brush the  lemon glaze over the hot loaves and there you have it. 

I couldn't believe what a great combination of tastes this would be in my mouth!   We were extremely happy, my mouth and I!

This recipe makes two beautiful loaves, so you can give one as a gift. I promise you, you'll make a friend or neighbor very happy! 



Ingredients:
2/3 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1/2 tsp. almond extract
3 cups sifted flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp. grated lemon peel (I used 1 Tbsp. dried lemon zest)
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
6 Tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 325'F.  Prepare 2 loaf pans.  (I sprayed mine with Pam)

Combine the butter and 1 cup sugar; blend well.  Beat in eggs, one at a time.  Add almond extract.

Sift together dry ingredients; add to egg mixture alternately with milk.  Blend just enough to mix.  Fold in lemon peel and nuts.

Turn into greased loaf pans (aluminum or glass).  Bake in slow oven 325'F. for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  (If it isn't done in 35 minutes, just add 2 minutes at a time.  My loaves took 37 minutes total.)

Mix 6 Tbsp. of lemon juice and 1/2 -3/4 cup confectioners sugar.  Immediately spoon over hot loaf in pan.

Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan.

Cool on rack.  Do not cut until completely cooled.

Makes 2 loaves.



Be encouraged!
“Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.’”   -Psalms 150:2



1 comment:

  1. I love your site! I'm so glad I stumbled upon it...this recipe just so happened to catch my eye on another page, but I was really impressed to land here on this fabulous page and to see great love for food, God and his blessings. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete