Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Roast Beef (Eye Round)


Easiest roast and full of flavor!


Long ago, and what seems like another life, I took a ceramic class. Yes, I have the Christmas tree, the candy dishes, the Nativity, and all the other fun things that were so popular back in the 70's.  Oh my...did I just say "the 70's"?  

The class took place in our instructor's basement, and one day an unbelievable aroma came wafting down from her kitchen.  I had to know what she was making!   That's when she told me how she makes her roasts, and my family has loved this ever since.  (Granddaughter just whispered "Yes, we do.")

There's really no set measurements, it's all to your taste and creativity.  All I can give you are the basic directions that she gave me.  Even if you add nothing to this, I promise, it will become one of your favorite meals. (Granddaughter again, "Yes, it will!")  She's Grammy's cheerleader!   Haha!

Ingredients:
1 (3-5 lb.) eye round roast
1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 (10 oz.) can French Onion Soup

*Sprinkle eye round with granulated garlic and black pepper;  brown in skillet on medium high, on all sides. (Cover it, or it will splatter all over your nice clean stove.)  

Place roast in your slow cooker, set on low.

Pour soup into the pan and heat just enough to loosen all the goodness of the meat drippings into the soup.  Then, pour over the roast in the slow cooker.  (If you're roasting it in the oven, it's 350'F. for about 2 hours.)

Cover and cook on low approx. 5 hours (well done) or your preference, rare, medium or well done. 

When done, take out and let it rest before cutting.  Use the juice as is, or strain into a pan and make a rich brown gravy.  

That's it!  Easiest roast I know to make with the greatest flavor ever!

*If you haven't got time for the first step, just place it in your slow cooker and season, then pour the French Onion Soup over it.  

Tips from Grammy:
-I've been known to add a little tomato sauce and red wine, a little rosemary or basil...maybe a bay leaf.  It's just so much fun to "play" with this recipe. 

-Or you can switch up the soup for Golden Mushroom, that's pretty awesome too. 

-Add veggies, like potatoes & carrots, yumminess! 

-Slice super thin, place on a sandwich roll, add melted cheese and use the juice for dipping, then enjoy a French Dip sandwich.

I hope you'll try it soon, and make it your own!


Be encouraged! 
"God never measures the Mind. He always puts His tape measure in the Heart."   -Corrie ten Boom


No comments:

Post a Comment