Saturday, May 30, 2015

Mexican Hot Sauce

Dad's Secret Recipe!

My dad enjoyed cooking almost as much as my mother, but he was a  little secretive about some of the ingredients in those great foods he made.   This is one of them!

In the area I grew up in, Upstate New York, they had hot dog stands, hamburger stands...but, my favorite were the Mexican Hot Stands.  Never heard of "Mexican Hots"?   You don't know what you've missed!

These made a plain, simple hamburger or hot dog uniquely delicious and all because of a hot relish that was poured on top of meat.   Some places even poured it over the whole burger and roll.  You know, like a covered sandwich.  But, beware, it could be really spicy if you use the truly hot peppers.  My hubby likes it "the hotter, the better", not me, I like to taste the burger too, so to heat his up more, I add some hot pepper flakes onto his serving.

Oh, okay, back to my sneaky dad, hehe!   Well, the first time I tried to make this, dad told me his ingredients and I followed them to a tee!   But, it just didn't taste the same as his.  I chucked it up to inexperience.  Then one day, I saw him putting his hot sauce together and what do you think?  He was adding something that he left out when telling me.  Ketchup!  Yes, plain ol' ketchup!   Believe me, I jumped on him about that and all he could do was laugh!   Talking to my brother, this was a habit of dad's...he thought it was pretty funny.  Oh, dad! 

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cups green bell pepper, diced
2-3 jalapeno peppers, diced
2 cups white onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic

Combine above ingredients in a saucepan and cook on low until tender.

8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
dash of Worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper, to taste

Add to the pepper mixture and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.  It doesn't take long. 

Serve immediately over your burgers or hot dogs, or refrigerate until ready.  Best when heated thoroughly before serving.  Store any leftovers in mason jars and freeze for another time. 


Be encouraged! 
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7


No comments:

Post a Comment