Thursday, June 11, 2015

Italian Hot Dogs

Now this is the way to eat hot dogs!


Ready to make our sandwiches...or eat it just as is!
Yes!  This is the best way I know to eat hot dogs!  There's not much else to say about Italian Hot Dogs, except that my whole family loves them!  

If you've never had them like this, I highly recommend you give it a try.  There are other ways to make these too.  For instance, you can leave the hot dogs whole and grill them, then cover them with the peppers and potatoes; or bake it all together in the oven.  You can leave out the sauce or potatoes.  But, I stand on my earlier statement..."these are the best!"

My mom did it this way, and since I don't believe in "fixing what isn't broken"...I make them the same.  I just can't help myself! 


Ingredients:

1 pkg. hot dogs (use your favorite brand)
6 medium potatoes, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
2-3 red, yellow or green peppers, sliced (or a combination of all three)
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic or 2 cloves fresh, minced
1/2-3/4 cup tomato sauce (depends how "wet" you like it)
1/4 tsp. basil
1/8 tsp. oregano (optional)
6 Italian rolls (heat them in the oven for a crisp crust)

Fry potato slices in olive oil until just starting to soften; add sliced peppers and onions.  Cook until all are tender.  Place in a bowl and set aside.

Slice the hot dogs into 1" circles, place in the same pan and let cook until heated through and a little browned; this takes almost no time at all.   Then, pour the rest back into the pan; stir gently to combine.

Stir in tomato sauce,  and seasonings; simmer until heated through.

Serve on warm Italian rolls! 



There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for his friends.   -John 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment