Monday, July 20, 2015

Amish Cinnamon Bread Alternative

No "Starter" Necessary!


A number of years ago, I was given a plastic bag with instructions on how to "care and feed" the "starter" mixture inside.  I can recall adding flour and sugar on certain days or just kneading it on others.   Believe me, it was worth the effort because it produced the best cinnamon bread ever.  At the end you would  make two loaves and still have enough of this starter mixture left to put into other plastic bags and give away to friends and neighbors.  We always called it Friendship Bread, and we all loved it.

Well, that was great while it lasted, but there was only one problem with that method.  You always ended up with more to give away than anyone possibly wanted.  I seem to remember neighbors locking their front doors and pulling the shades down when they saw me coming, and friends conveniently "forgetting" who I was...ha, you get the picture. 

Yesterday, on my Facebook page, someone posted this recipe for Amish Cinnamon Bread ALTERNATIVE  from  Redfly Creations!   This caught my eye, big time!  I'm thinking, this can't be as good as the original, but I knew I had to try it. 

Mmmm...glad I did! 

Batter:
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla (optional)
2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups milk plus 2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda

Cinnamon/Sugar Mixture: Mix in separate bowl.
2/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon 

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350'F.   Grease and flour 2 (9X5") loaf pans. 

Cream together butter, 2 cups of sugar, and eggs.  Add milk, flour, and baking soda.  

Put 1/2 of batter (or a little less) into greased loaf pans (1/4 in each pan).  

In separate bowl, mix the 2/3 c sugar and cinnamon.  

Divide 3/4 of cinnamon mixture, and sprinkle onto the top of the batter in each pan.  

Add remaining batter to pans; sprinkle with last of cinnamon topping.  Swirl with a knife to create a marble effect.  If you like and save some cinnamon/sugar mix to sprinkle on the top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick tester come clean.  
Cool in pan for 15-20 minutes before removing from pan.

Yields: 2 loaves

Be encouraged!
"Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my concerns."  -Psalm 139:23

No comments:

Post a Comment