Saturday, January 23, 2016

Bonnie Butter Cake

A real all-butter cake

One of my husband's favorite cakes is a butter cake with chocolate frosting.  In fact, it's pretty much a favorite with just about everyone.  I have to say, though, a yellow cake mix just doesn't have the same "pure" flavor that a homemade one does.  So, when I make this, I always make it from scratch.  This is one of the best and most flavorful butter cakes.

Yesterday, we were watching a TV show that featured cakes and my granddaughter, who just had a beautiful baby girl, said, "Grandma, I need cake!"  Well, that's all I needed to hear since she did such a great job giving me another gorgeous great-granddaughter.  

She and her cousin, Becky are making this great-grandma very happy.  This morning, Becky video chatted me from her home in NJ and I got to play Facetime Peekaboo with my Kendall, my first great grandchild.  Life is good and I'm so thankful for all the modern technology that allows me to do such things.

Here are pictures of my two latest loves!    Cutest little cousins ever!  Yes, I'm obsessed with both of them...sigh!   
Kendall
Anna-Molly
 
Oh, yeah, you came here for a recipe!  Haha!  Well, here it is!

Ingredients:

2/3 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cup whole milk

Heat oven to 350'F.

Grease and flour baking pan, 13x9x2" or two 9" or three 8" round pans.

In large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy.  Continue beating for 5 minutes on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl; add to butter mixture alternately with milk.  Pour into pans. 

Bake oblong for 45-50 minutes, layers 30-35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool.

Frost with French Silk Frosting or your favorite chocolate frosting recipe.  See recipe below.
Another classic Betty Crocker recipe
French Silk Frosting:                            

2 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
2/3 cup soft butter
2 ounces melted unsweetened chocolate (cooled)
3/4 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. milk

In small mixer bowl, blend sugar, butter, chocolate and vanilla on low speed.  Gradually add milk; beat until smooth and fluffy. 

Makes enough frosting for two 9" layers or three 8" layers.

Variation:  This cake is also delicious with a lemon frosting.


Be encouraged!
God is your source!  Everyone else is just a resource.   -Tony Evans


No comments:

Post a Comment