Sunday, August 7, 2016

Baked Cod Italian-style

Italiano merluzzo al forno!

When I was a little girl, my mom would make us fish, baked in the oven, with tomato sauce, onions and peppers. It was always one of my favorite meals.  She didn't have a recipe, just put in what she knew we enjoyed.  I remember how good it smelled, the sauce and spices rose up and there was no fishy odors at all.

Tonight, I decided to try to re-create her baked fish.  I played with it and used some of the herbs my family love.  Also, added white wine, because that makes everything taste good. I like to use wine when I cook, sometimes I even put it in the food.  Just kidding!

Anyway, the family really enjoyed it and I will be making this often.  So easy to make and yet one of the tastiest ways to serve baked fish I know...and it's healthy.  Shh...let's keep that part to ourselves, we don't want to spoil it.  (wink)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 to 2 lbs. white fish, such as cod or haddock
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 cup bell green pepper, chopped (or a combination of red, yellow & green)
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup white wine (optional)
1/2 tsp. basil
1/8 tsp. oregano
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese (optional)

Preheat oven to 400'F.  Spray bottom of a 9x13" baking pan with cooking spray.

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add garlic, peppers and onions; cook on medium for about 2 minutes or until slightly softened.

Add tomatoes and wine; continue to cook for 10 minutes or until liquid has evaporated and leaves a chunky sauce.

Trim fillets by taking off any skin and removing any bones.  (Usually they come trimmed and cleaned from the fish section of your grocery store.)

Place fish fillets in the prepared baking pan in a single layer; sprinkle with lemon juice, then spoon the tomato mixture over the fish; sprinkle with Parmesan, if desired.

Bake, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until fish is opaque all the way through and flakes easily with a fork.

Serve immediately.

Yields: 4 servings

Be encouraged!
"I will praise the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being." - Psalm 146:2

No comments:

Post a Comment